Mazda MX5 Forum banner

Mk1 mx5 97 not goin into gear

480 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Steveti 
#1 ·
Hey guys in need of some advice with my recently acquired mk1 so i recently got given it by a family member i plan on doing it up an it become my daily so before it was parked it had master/slave and a clutch job done then its been parked up for nearly 5 years started maybe once a year now my issues are it dosent go into gear with engine running but will go in without engine running noe my first thaught was master /slave cylinders but there basically brand new seals on both parts are in good nick no visible leaks fluids are all good im just abit stumped i need to get it moving under its own power before i can start to restore it any advice is much appreciated 😊

#3 ·
Hi so from what ive been trying to get it moving ive had zero luck at all getting it into gear with engine running even pushing it to try jump it into gear absolutely zero luck the engine will keep running no issues there im just worried the gear box is done on it

#5 · (Edited)
Humm, I’m trying to think how having the engine running could make any difference to pedal pressure and I’m coming up blank.
I’m not too au-fait with the mk1 clutch, I’m assuming it’s hydraulic(?) but the only way I could see that being affected by engine running is if it had a servo which would not be standard I’m sure. Is there any chance one may have been added?

But the question still remains, what happens if you put the car in gear and then start (clutch depressed of course)?
Is the clutch fully engaged, partly engaged or does it “break free”.

#6 ·
I'm going to throw this out here, weird as it may appear on the face of it.
Is there any possibility that the plate has split i.e. the centre section connected to the splines on the 'box input shaft, has departed from the outer section of the plate with the friction material?
I had it happen to me on a clutch some 46 years ago, clutch was foot to the floor and no drive. In your circumstances and marginally different clutch design, the broken pieces could mate when no engine turning and give a pedal but when running perhaps not interfere and give a pedal to the floor??
It is a real wildcard I know but equally a theroetical pissabolity.

Reactions: kevinrpallett
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.