Mazda MX5 Forum banner

Modification to NC front tower strut bar to take adjustable coilovers

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MJL 
#1 ·
Has any one had their NC front strut tower bar machined to take adjustable Coilovers.
I want to refit the OEM front tower strut bar, but as I have adjustable Ohlin suspension fitted the bar will need machining to take the adjustable suspension nut. looking for some link to have this done.
cheers.

#3 ·
Thanks for the picture David, I have decided to use a step drill bit and drill the FSTB myself. I have got another bar fitted, its a cobalt, but I plan to get ITBs fitted and there is not enough clearance with the cobalt. That aside you cant get at the cylinder head / s plugs because the cobalt has a secondary bracing strut that runs across the engines cylinder head. It would have to be removed to check / replace plugs ect.

#4 ·
For what it's worth Paul, I ditched the OEM brace as I felt it was to flimsy when I started beefing up the rest of the suspension as such I have the ILM brace.

Overall I think we are running a very similar chassis set up, ILM chassis braces and the Ohlin R&T shocks & springs. Personally I'd be reluctant to start drilling holes into the OEM brace, as I say I think it is a bit flimsy in terms of what we've done to the chassis and I note that the mod pictured cuts through what looks like two folded (for strength) sections of the brace, definitely one at the rear and what looks like a shallower inverted fold - may be reflection - at the front, in addition when you start drilling away at something that isn't made that way, you may well introduce stress risers that may in time lead to cracking of the brace.

I've attached a couple of images freshly taken for your delight ;) of the ILM brace and how it certainly allows free access to the Ohlin rebound adjuster and where it sits on the inlet manifold side. As you know the charger is quite bulky once in situ but with not real reference to how the ITBs sit, I believe they are swept rearwards though, it's hard to say from my perspective if the ILM may be a better bet for a tower brace. Oh yeah, you still have to take it apart to get to #4 plug though.

If you need more info, let me know and I can get the measuring tape out and check clearances etc.

Inlet side:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

Access to rebound adjuster:

Green Hood Motor vehicle Steering wheel Vehicle

#8 ·
Here’s my Cobalt brace. I did have the ILM one, but swopped it recently as I like shiney things. :cool:

As I said in my previous post this is the bar that I already have installed. The problem is a lack of clearance for the fitment of ITBs. Steve makes a very valid point that by drilling it out to take the CO adjusters it can effect the structural integrity of the oem bar. I will have to see if the cobalt bar can be retained.

#6 ·
There are individuals who claim that the tower brace on the NC is a cosmetic addition, as the design of the front suspension components permits no movement at the coilover upper mount. However these individuals omit the fact that they run a full racing cage.

#7 ·
I can say that the brace, even the OEM one does make a difference. I did run the GM without the brace at one one point and found it lacked it's normal sharpness of turn in. The ILM brace improved significantly over the OEM.
When you look at the set up, even in theory a triangulated brace giving additional support to the shock absorber mounts must provide additional support. Arguably a further support from the shock towers to the front slam panel would increase rigidity further but for road use probably not that much of a difference.

#10 · (Edited)
On my previous NC I had adjustable coilovers -Meisters. I did refit the OEM tower brace. I realised on these coilovers that if I removed the adjustment knob , the fitting below the knob accepted an allen key. Thus the hole required in the OE tower brace to permit adjustment was very small. (Bit of PIA to accurately gauge where to drill to keep the hole to a minimum)
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.