Mazda MX5 Forum banner

Multicar Insurance

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  MX5_Owner 
#1 ·
Anyone on here have more than one MX5? I`m looking into policies and just wondered if anyone can help.
I understand Reis and Admiral will not quote unless one of the cars is over £15k in value. This will not be the case here.
I`m looking at buying a 1.8 for winter money, swapping over the upgrades from my 1.6 and selling this car in the spring. There is a method in my madness........or I could be just mad after all :confused:

#2 ·
I have two fives and an Admiral multicar policy - neither car is on the books as anywhere near £15k (though they are both worth far more to me! :)) Both are imports, one heavily modified. None of this has ever been an issue with Admiral. I forgot the exact cost, but it's around £300 a year for the two.

HTH

#3 ·
I have two fives and an Admiral multicar policy - neither car is on the books as anywhere near £15k (though they are both worth far more to me! :)) Both are imports, one heavily modified. None of this has ever been an issue with Admiral. I forgot the exact cost, but it's around £300 a year for the two.

HTH
Is this a Classic Multi car policy Hovis?

#5 ·
Got an online quote from Admiral almost £900 for two!! Reiss Quoted me £260 for my existing car with 60% NCB and the second car for £273 with a `complementy` 40% NCB so £533 in total ..........the older I get, the less I understand this Insurance milarky :confused:

#6 ·
My wifes car was hit by another driver a couple of months ago.....so a no fault claim, other insurance paid up in full, when I got renewal qoute from admiral they tried to increase insurance from £667 for two cars to £1204.00. Managed to get this reduced to £955.00 what a rip off.
They told me that because she had a no fault accident risk assements show she is more likely to have a fault accident in the next 12 months!!! What a load of bollo*ks. Tried shopping around but know joy on getting it for less. So whats the point of having protected no claims. Rang insurance ombudsman and they said up until 2 years ago hardly any insurance company would increase premium for a no fault accident but now most do.

Another case of rip off Britain me thinks.......and was also told that all car insurance is worked out on at least 40 different items in a risk assement among other things such as postcode etc.

#12 ·
In response to Stevo's question, yes I have 2 MX5s but they are on separate policies. The Mark 3 is with Admiral and the Mark 2 with Elephant, which I think is a sister company. The insurance on both is up in February (although on separate dates) so I may look into the possibility of a multicar policy then.

#13 ·
You only get NCB on the first car. Most don`t give any on the second car at all. I can`t see how the heck that can be when I declare I`m the sole driver. I can only be in one vehicle at any onetime. Why is the car the risk when it should be based on the driver using it? :rolleyes:
It`s also about the claim culture `no win no fee` WE are paying the fees for all these cases!
Changing your job title can make a difference...........`tonight Mathew I`m gonna be a VICAR`:p

#14 ·
I started from scratch with my previous Mark 1 when I bought it in 2008 but got a good premium through the OC scheme with AON (now Footman James), on a restricted mileage, and AON were flexible on covering mods too.

I had built up 3 years no claims by my 2011 renewal, which I used on my policy with Elephant - I switched away from FJ as I wanted to up the mileage covered (to 10,000 pa) and FJ were not competitive with the higher mileage! :rolleyes:

#15 ·
Admiral gave us full NCB on both cars even though the MX was new when I got the multi-car policy from them. But they are the same as all insurance companies intice you with low premium and then try it on the following year.

#16 ·
... all insurance companies intice you with low premium and then try it on the following year.
I renewed my insurance on my Golf GTi in November and my existing insurer, which was the cheapest last year, was somewhat expensive more than the company I have now switched to! :rolleyes:

#17 ·
I have a multi car policy with Adrian Flux, three 5's and a 4x4 all with there own NCB afaik. one is guaranteed value with ltd mileage, other all mods declared with ltd mileage, MK3 is no mods and no ltd mileage, Nissan Pathfinder is no mods and no limit on mileage, all four for £900 well pleased and found them very pleasant to deal with.

Reactions: Mark
#19 ·
My wifes car was hit by another driver a couple of months ago....*snip*

They told me that because she had a no fault accident risk assements show she is more likely to have a fault accident in the next 12 months!!! What a load of bollo*ks. Tried shopping around but know joy on getting it for less. So whats the point of having protected no claims. Rang insurance ombudsman and they said up until 2 years ago hardly any insurance company would increase premium for a no fault accident but now most do.*snip*
then i would refer them to th mathematical laws of probability whereby everything returns to the status quo

Your good lady had a one in, say, 1000 chance of a bump.
That ratio remains the same as all the factors prior to the original bump still exist

It's like pulling an apple from a bag full of fruit and then returning that same apple to the bag
The chances of pulling the same fruit are exactly as they were before

does that make sense? ;)

Reactions: MX5_Owner
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.