Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an MX5 RF 2017 and now got a fault on the fuel cap metal bodywork cover, it's rattling like mad. I cant seem to find out why it rattles so much, it's doing my head in.

Any ideas to fix the problem is please and to what might be the cause?

Away with the fairies
Hi Smee, welcome to 'life' 馃檪

Sorry you have got a problem :(

Sadly i can't answer your question

but why not pop over to the new member section and introduce yourself

so we can all say hello

hopefully someone will be able to help you 馃檪

Unicorn finder
Hi Smee, welcome to the forum.
I can鈥檛 help with your problem, I鈥檓 afraid as RFs are too new for me :) does it lock, or just push shut on an RF?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the response, when you lock the car a pin engages to secure the petrol cap metal cover. but when you drive the pin is unlocked along with all door locks. The plate covering the petrol cap vibrates like mad and makes a right racket when driving; like a stone being shaken in a tin can.

Having fun topdown in my MX5
Not got the this problem with my 2019 RF, but just a thought, if you lock the doors from the inside when driving, does the noise of the petrol cap cover go away?

Reactions: Ali5

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it does because the pin engages the metal petrol cap cover plate.really puzzling why its vibrating like it does

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
Hi smee,

I've just been outside to check my 2015 ND fuel cap and although it is a soft-top I believe the fuel cap is similar.

Unfortunately I couldn't see anything which would cause a rattle because when the flap is closed it rests down on the rubber bellows which cover the spring-loaded actuator. I locked and unlocked the flap and noted how the pin holds the flap closed when locked, but couldn't see anything, other than a very slight spring tension in the flap hinge, that would secure the flap when unlocked.

What I suggest you do is remove the two small 8 mm bolts which hold the flap in place and check out the hinge which may require some lubrication because if the hinge is stiff it won't allow the slight spring tension in the hinge to hold the flap down against the actuator rubber bellows. I hope this long winded explanation is easy to follow. Basically, remove the flap, clean and lubricate the hinge, then note any improvement.

Please let me know if this works 馃檪

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
It's not a mileage thing I'm afraid it's more likely to be down to the previous owner but then these things can just happen. just pot luck. It would be handy if you could post a picture of the flap in the open position so we can have a look.

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
For such a new-ish car you would not think something like that could happen, only done 15000 miles
As Bill said, it's not a mileage thing, but after 4 years any component can require some attention. Also, yours isn't the first time I have read about rattling fuel caps on the ND.

If you do as I suggested above and remove the flap (2 minute job) and clean/lubricate the hinge, you may well notice an improvement.

Reactions: Ali5 and bill119
1 - 11 of 11 Posts