Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a MX-5 NC MK3.5 2.0L sports tech hard top in a local garage, and I was interested in buying it, later I found out actually the car was fitted with wrong size of tyres, with this modal of MX5, it should have tyre size 205/45/R17, however, all 4 tyres on the vehicle were wrongly fitted with 205/50/R17, so the tyres were larger and there was not much space between the tyre and wheel arch. should I go ahead purchase it or simply walk away??

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,610 Posts
Gearing and speedo will be affected. Not a reason to walk away per-se but definitely a point for negotiation. Ask them to fit tyres of the correct size of a similar quality (hopefully not ditchfinders) to the wrongly sized tyres or negotiate a discount. A premium brand in the correct size will be circa £100 a corner.
Remember, there sre loads more for sale if the garage is unwilling to negotiate and don't accept any BS from them. The tyres are the wrong size, no arguments, no ifs, no buts.

·
Spending the kid's inheritance .............
38,987 Posts
Sometimes people fit "oversize" tyres to achieve a softer ride but more often the garage has fitted the cheapest budget tyre they can find that fits the rim. As Steve suggests, a very good bargaining chip but not something to kill the sale if the car is otherwise a great buy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is the car one that you want? Is it fairly priced? Tyres can easily be changed but of course there is a cost involved.
It wouldn't put me off if it was a car I wanted but it certainly gives you cause to ask to either have the correct tyres fitted or a reduction in the price. Don't forget that the garage will get the tyres at trade price so it will cost them less than you would pay. I would speak to the seller and see what they say as they probably have no idea they are the wrong size.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found a MX-5 NC MK3.5 2.0L sports tech hard top in a local garage, and I was interested in buying it, later I found out actually the car was fitted with wrong size of tyres, with this modal of MX5, it should have tyre size 205/45/R17, however, all 4 tyres on the vehicle were wrongly fitted with 205/50/R17, so the tyres were larger and there was not much space between the tyre and wheel arch. should I go ahead purchase it or simply walk away??
Did you make a decision on this car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts