Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and I live in South Devon and after wanting an MX5 since they first came out I've finally put my hand in my pocket and bought one.

My daily drive is a 1993 Defender pick up that I've owned for about 15 years but I also have a 1955 Land Rover Series 1 and a 1974 Triumph TR6 that I have had for 36 years. Having 3 cars I could never justify having an MX5 then my godson bought one and let me have a drive so that started me off wanting one again. 2 years later I started keeping my eye open for one and one day one of my customers (I work for a motor factor) had one parked behind his garage so I kept my eye on it. I then heard that he wasn't going to put it on his forecourt he was just going to trade it out. It's a 2009 Copper red MK3 2ltr and has a couple of rips in the seat, both bumpers need painting and the front wing has been in a fight but otherwise is in good condition and only done 65,000 miles. I asked how much and he just said it will be cheap! I went back later and had a proper look with it on a ramp and again asked the price, this time he said "it's a trade sale, £1,800". At that price I couldn't say no so it's now mine.

It's going to need a bit spent on it but for the price I paid I can treat it to some TLC. I've spent hours on the internet and Fleabay trying to find a copper red drivers wing but no luck so far. I'm sure I'll find one eventually!

Mike

Attachments

·
Unicorn finder
11,533 Posts
Welcome Mike! Well it would have been extremely rude not to rehome him/her/it at that price!

Rest assured there are a myriad of ways to spend your left over budget. For now, get out and enjoy!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's already started! Pair of mats, set of mat clips, the small chrome piece between the hood and the boot, a tyre pump and pot of slime, wiper blades and of course a brake calliper!! Its seat is booked in for repair next month but I'm not counting that as a spend yet. Not a bad start for 4 days.

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,610 Posts
Hi Mike and a warm welcome to 'Life' my Brother also lives in South Devon (Kingsbridge) so it's an area I know quite well although sadly not had an opportunity to take the 520 mile drive down for a few years due to a few factors including of course Covid.

At £1800 it sounds like you have good deal there, as for the wing, personally I'd bite the bullet and pop a new one on and have it painted, buying a second hand one will most likely give you shading issues as there were, as with all car paints, varying shades within the core colour, the car's paint code should allow any half decent body shop to match the paint pretty near perfect. That's just my 2p worth though.

If you can, get it up on ramps and thoroughly check for rust, in the main the NCs are fairly good but pay particular attention to the area around the rear arches and the rear arch just behind the door, they can quietly rot away in there.

Also as I always recommend any NC owner to have done, get a ful 4 wheel geo check and alignment carried out. I know that some NC owners have been a bit underwhelmed at the handling, this is invariably down to never having the geo checked and set, factory tolerances are somewhat ... wide. My first NC would actually try to kick the tail out on the overrun so bad was the alignment, had it done properly and have loved all 3 of my NCs since. Once set up they are an absolute delight.

Happy MX5ing.

·
Away with the fairies
41,321 Posts
Hi Mike

A warm welcome to 'life' :wave:

Your new 5 is lovely even with the 'dimple' :)

Be prepared for miles of smiles

we are very friendly knowledgeable bunch of 5ers

so any questions just ask :)

enjoy

·
Premium Member
9,917 Posts
Hi Mike....

Welcome to the 'Life' madhouse.....err, sorry forum I meant!.... :giggle:

Some friendly people here.....And a few nut-jobs too! :hug:

Nice that you're saving an Mx that needs some TLC, and copper red too (nice colour).

My little bit of advice would be to seek out a 'Smart' repair man for the wing....

The wife once had an argument with local minibus and the wing on her Mazda 2 ended up far worse than the one on yours and he repaired it for £120 all in!

Anyway, good luck with the repairs and keep us informed how you get on!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone this certainly seems a be a good forum.

Steveti, I'm in Newton Abbot so only about 20 miles from Kingsbridge. I've had it on a ramp twice and it's pretty clean underneath, lots of surface rust but nothing so far that worries me. The mechanic who fitted the calliper was impressed with the way it drives but I've got a feeling something isn't quiet right so I was planning on getting it checked but need to have a play first :D

This will be mixed with my Defender as my daily drive and I'm sure I'll be coming up with all sorts of questions such as why does a 2 seat car need 4 cup holders?? :unsure:

Mike

·
Token Yank
23,040 Posts
Four cup holders, because the ones in the door,do not hold cups. Mine fall out when closing doors. I removed the insert in the console in order to store STUFF there. I had similar damage to the passenger Front wing of my MK1, and took the opportunity to purchase the tools to make the repair myself. I did, however; spend part of my life training as an auto body technician.

·
Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
17,222 Posts
Hello Mike and welcome to mx5life.com :wave: ...All of life is here! :lol:

One of my favourite colours, Copper Red :thumbsup:

I'm in South Molton by the way :)

Kev.

Reactions: Steveti

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Kev.
We used to have days out to South Molton as children but I've not been there for more years than I care to think about. Everyone seems to like the colour, I wasn't sure at first but it is growing on me.

I've started the job of cleaning the soft top this evening and tomorrow may be the interior as the car was parked in the sun all day and when I opened the door it stank. :unsure:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello Mike, congratulations on your MX5 purchase. I am still looking for one. I have enquired today about an '08 1.8.

Think I need to be brave and go for it. I have been looking for one for ages.

Tommo, aka. Fussy bugger.

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,610 Posts

Kev.
We used to have days out to South Molton as children but I've not been there for more years than I care to think about. Everyone seems to like the colour, I wasn't sure at first but it is growing on me.
I've started the job of cleaning the soft top this evening and tomorrow may be the interior as the car was parked in the sun all day and when I opened the door it stank. :unsure:
Stank of what? Hopefully not damp.
If damp check out drain tube cleaning and windscreen scuttle grommet leaks via your favorite search engine. Both are common but if caught early you should be OK.

HTH.

Reactions: Kev5, Paulo and MJL

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Kev.
Stank of what? Hopefully not damp.
If damp check out drain tube cleaning and windscreen scuttle grommet leaks via your favorite search engine. Both are common but if caught early you should be OK.

HTH.
Could well be damp I fitted some new mats yesterday and the footwell was damp. We've had some pretty horrible weather here recently.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After a lot of heavy rain I had a swimming pool in the passenger footwell. After a quick search it definitely looks like the drains are blocked so that will be this weekends job. After taking out the trim panel behind the seats I found surface rust on the roll bars so I thought I'd let others know in case they want to check theirs. I'll treat it with rust killer then give it a coat of paint to protect it in the future.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts