Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
Very nice, Nick - I am not surprised by your purchase 馃槈

What special edition was that BGT ?

Reactions: Qu1ckn1ck

Spending the kid's inheritance .............
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To "celebrate" the end of MG and the closure of Abingdon works in October 1980. It was called the MGB GT LE and there was a bronze roadster version too. Originally aimed at the American market where the decals were supplied and fitted. A later batch were produced for the UK market using American decals but stockpiled for release in January 1981 as the last of the MG's.

The total body restoration was the lockdown project of an ex bodyshop guy who needed something to do to preserve his sanity, apparently.

Premium Member
Nice that Nick, I thought it was only me that liked the rubber bumper version!......
Welcome to the MGB Life forum!...馃槀

Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice that Nick, I thought it was only me that liked the rubber bumper version!......
Welcome to the MGB Life forum!...馃槀
Not as attractive as the chrome bumper ones but very practical. Lois had a GT and I had a Roadster as our everyday commuting cars for many years from 1996. They don't look bad if the rubber bumpers are kept shiny black and they are lowered easily with a change of springs. The Snapdragon Roadster is as it left the factory and before it was lowered and put on 15" Minilites like the GT.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very lucky man! I like the MGB GT as a car and as a very nice body. Is it already lowered?
This latest one stands very high and will be lowered. It has had a full bodywork and cosmetic makeover but similar attention to suspension, steering, cooling system is required. Engine, gearbox, overdrive and diff are working well. Peter was hard pressed to keep up yesterday as I kept up speed as leccy cooling fan was not working.

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
I see things in a different light, as an apprentice in a BMC garage I used to get all the tedious jobs and I seemed to spend a lot of time reamering out the king pin bushes and if I remember correctly the top bush was a different size to the lower bush and our boss was that tight he wouldn't buy the two step reamer so I had to use two separate ones and had to be careful to get them lined up because if I didn't do it correctly I had to pay for new bushes out of my own pocket, happy days how things have changed, it's the reason why I hate working on cars.

Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see things in a different light, as an apprentice in a BMC garage I used to get all the tedious jobs and I seemed to spend a lot of time reamering out the king pin bushes and if I remember correctly the top bush was a different size to the lower bush and our boss was that tight he wouldn't buy the two step reamer so I had to use two separate ones and had to be careful to get them lined up because if I didn't do it correctly I had to pay for new bushes out of my own pocket, happy days how things have changed, it's the reason why I hate working on cars.
King pin bush replacement was a job that I had to do on all my first three MGB's when they were only a few years old. I seem to remember using exchange stub axles with bushes already fitted and sized ? The early roadsters always had a small split from the top of the door skin in line with the quarter light back edge.

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
When it comes to cars I'm a bit of a " Job's comforter " I'm afraid because I only saw cars when there was something wrong, two other common faults that I used to do a lot of were Hardy Spicers and front shock absorbers.
It's funny how people think, I remember a friend of mine coming to see me at work one day and saying that MGs can't be very good because they are all he ever sees me working on , obviously I said " Gordon Bennett. you idiot it's a BMC garage, what do you expect, if you go to the Vauxhall garage down the road you'll only see Vauxhalls ".

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
...The early roadsters always had a small split from the top of the door skin in line with the quarter light back edge.
Exactly like every Triumph Herald and Vitesse that I owned and saw (I had a few!) This must have been a design fault and caused by flexing and vibration of the door skin at that precise point 馃 ... On one of mine I covered the crack by fitting a period Raydyot door mirror!

Reactions: Ali5 and Garffey

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
Soft top Triumph Heralds were a joke in the 1960's, it was a known fact that if you opened one door the other would wedge shut. They really needed the hard roof for added strength. It has to be said that a few other two door soft top saloons were the same it's surprising just how much the body flexes.
Just to digress a bit I had a friend who worked in a scrap yard and he said that Triumph Heralds were the only car he couldn't lift with the grabber because the roof used to come off.

Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soft top Triumph Heralds were a joke in the 1960's, it was a known fact that if you opened one door the other would wedge shut. They really needed the hard roof for added strength. It has to be said that a few other two door soft top saloons were the same it's surprising just how much the body flexes.
Just to digress a bit I had a friend who worked in a scrap yard and he said that Triumph Heralds were the only car he couldn't lift with the grabber because the roof used to come off.
That comment could probably apply to any car with a separate chassis

Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When it comes to cars I'm a bit of a " Job's comforter " I'm afraid because I only saw cars when there was something wrong, two other common faults that I used to do a lot of were Hardy Spicers and front shock absorbers.
The shock absorbers definitely need replacing and lower springs will be fitted too. It bounces like a trampoline at the moment. There is a driveline "clonk" which may be UJ's @ 拢10 a time. Several leccy problems too, cooling fan not working nor are reversing lights. I need to get a new log book and change tax class to "Historic" as the seller was still paying VED although the car was over 40 years old,

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
To "celebrate" the end of MG and the closure of Abingdon works in October 1980. It was called the MGB GT LE and there was a bronze roadster version too. Originally aimed at the American market where the decals were supplied and fitted. A later batch were produced for the UK market using American decals but stockpiled for release in January 1981 as the last of the MG's.

The total body restoration was the lockdown project of an ex bodyshop guy who needed something to do to preserve his sanity, apparently.
If I recall correctly there were a couple of these turned up on Bangers & Cash a while back. Someone had bought them brand new and then put them into storage. Can only assume they had a good relationship with the dealer they bought them from as the factory wax as applied back in the day was still intact and they had single figure miles on them. Quite a find yet one buyer still reckoned a full body resto was needed.

Found an article, memory of the facts wasn't that bad it seems but not quite perfect:

Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If I recall correctly there were a couple of these turned up on Bangers & Cash a while back. Someone had bought them brand new and then put them into storage. Can only assume they had a good relationship with the dealer they bought them from as the factory wax as applied back in the day was still intact and they had single figure miles on them. Quite a find yet one buyer still reckoned a full body resto was needed.

Found an article, memory of the facts wasn't that bad it seems but not quite perfect:
Thanks Steveti for finding that for me. In 1996 I bought this roadster unregistered with delivery mileage only. Had the springs changed to give sensible reduced ride height and changed the 14" Rostyle wheels to 15" Minilites with lower profile tyres to give same circumference. Obviously on my latest MG I would not change the limited edition wheels as they are the distinguishing feature, but I will lower it to chrome bumper ride height. Strangely enough my other option in 1996+ was a new Mk1 NA that I had just test driven at NortonWay Mazda but I was not enthralled, there was a 3 or 4 month wait from Japan and they would not sell me their demonstrator:

Having fun topdown in my MX5
If MG production ceased in the early 1980s then the yellow 1996 N registered car must have been sitting around unregistered for best part of 15 years!

Premium Member
Loved all my MGs, there's just something about them - the end result is always greater than the sum of the individual parts. Of all the RB MGBs that's the one to have Nick for sure.

My first one was the '69 1275 Midget bought in 1976

Then came the first BGt in 1980, this is a recent photo of it sent to me by the son of it's present owner - it now lives in Southport

This was it in Scotland at the same spot that Bond and M stopped in the Aston Martin on the way to Skyfall - it's actually near loch Etive

Next was the '72 Roadster bought in 1986 as a total basket case and restored over the following 12 months. This was taken on an MG Regency run from London to Brighton in 1989 which I did with a mate, Chris (pictured)

And now of course is the icing on the cake as I come back full circle. I love this thing, which now wears a Peter Burgess cyl head, recalibrated carbs and a full Maniflow exhaust system and it drives really nicely, with oodles of lovely torque :)

Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If MG production ceased in the early 1980s then the yellow 1996 N registered car must have been sitting around unregistered for best part of 15 years!
MG Abingdon closed in October 1980 and many Midgets and MGBs were bought that year and were tucked away, unregistered and unused, as being "the last MG ever built" Many were flushed out into the market when in 1995 the MG marque was re-introduced with the MGF. My Snapdragon Roadster was built in 1980 and then apparently spent 16 years on display in the reception foyer of a vehicle leasing company. I part exchanged my Westfield for her at a small sports car dealer in Raunds in 1996. She was registered as a new car after inspection by DVLA and for a small sum I was allowed to choose an appropriate 1996 registration for her, hence N100MGB.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts