Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping someone can help! My 2017 ND won't start this morning - it opened fine (ish, frozen window didn't move down as it usually does) but the car will not start at all. Start button flashes orange rather than green, and when pressed beeps six times at me, but that's it.

More oddly, I can't then lock the car - when I get out, it beeps (as if I'd left the key in?) and will not lock. I can get it to lock by sitting in the car, pressing the unlock on the key, and then exiting and locking.

Both keys are the same.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas? A dealer suggested a flat battery, but it was fully charged yesterday and started fine. I've put the charger on it again today to make sure and it seems fine. I've seen elsewhere there's an emergency start (press and hold the start button) but loathed to try that on a weekend!

Cheers!

Premium Member
Skodaboy
Hi Greg,
I had this issue with a 2016 ND a few years ago after I started the engine without actually getting in! (Don't ask 馃き) I pressed the clutch pedal down with my hand and started the engine to warm it up whilst I finished my cup of tea!! 馃檮 From then on I had all kinds of issues!! Resetting using the method you described (holding in the start button) worked and cleared the faults. It appears that not sitting on the seat and activating the seatbelt alert throws the whole ECU into a wobbly!! If that's not relevant in your case, you might need to renew the batteries in both keys. Try that first anyway---they don't last for ever---failing that you'll need to recharge the main battery and get the car plugged into an OBD II code reader and see what that shows. By the way, main batteries fitted to Mk3 (NC) and Mk4 (ND) MX-5s are extremely marginal and not long-lived, so you might still need to fork out for a new one. I recommend a higher capacty Yuasa battery, which work well and last much longer 馃檪

Reactions: Steveti and Pat

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kev5! No joy with the emergency start - nothing. I changed the key batteries only a few weeks ago, but have another set coming for tomorrow just to make sure. Will see what that does. Battery has been charged but also no joy. Maybe time to find a mobile mechanic...

Premium Member
Sorry to hear of your woes Greg....
Unfortunately I cant add any assistance, I've only had one incident when my ND wouldn't start and that was just the battery had gone flat due to the car standing too long, but a charge up soon had me up and running again.
Hope it's easily sorted...

Reactions: Kev5

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
Normally I'd say not just a flat battery but a knackered battery with a dead cell, Mazda factory batteries are notoriously have a short lifespan + v.cold weather, however, given the relative & unecassary complexity of the ND, it could be down to any number of sensors or other electronic functions built in.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Reactions: Kev5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts