Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first post here because im at my wits end.

I have a Mark 2.5 Arctic and one of my front calipers has died so I bought new calipers but when for both wheels on the front and when I went to install them they are slightly different from the stock ones so they don't fit and I can't find the correct parts to make them fit anywhere.

They are Budweg calipers for MX5s but they don't fit the stock bracket. They did not come with they own bracket either.

The problem is I've painted them so I can't really return them.

Has anyone had a similar issue or the same issue and know how to fix it?

Many thanks!

Premium Member
Hi Scampertt....

From the depths of my mind some Mk2.5s had the 'big brake kit' fitted...An increase in the front disc size from 255mm to 270mm.
It maybe that you have caliper's for the smaller discs or visa versa, sadly that won't help get your caliper's replaced!
Hope that may point you in the right direction...

Reactions: Kev5

Premium Member
Easiest to get the calipers....Unless you upgrade to 270 mm discs and the caliper mounts and probably pads too...

Registered
What exactly doesn't fit?
Will the caliper not bolt to the caliper or will the caliper bolt up and it the disc that is conflicting?
If the caliper will bolt on then it may be simpler to get a disc that fits, possibly from another version of the MK2.x, other car or bespoke.

It seems there were quite a few changes to the brakes between MK1 & 2, I know when I was looking for servos to use on my kit car there were many different ones acorss these 2 models with some apparently used on both, presumably this applies to other parts of the braking system also. I think the differences were based on engine size, model (sport non-sport and so on), age and with/without ABS.

Seems as they moved to the MK3 things settled down quite a bit, all cars used same servo I think and all were ABS (again I think) based on the research I did at the time.

If the caliper won't fit would it be possible to make up (or get made) a bracket to adapt?

Premium Member
So if I wanted to put pick a discs on, do you know if the bolt spacing on the big brake caliper bracket is the same? Or do I need to replace the whole hub?
Thanks for the btw!
Sorry, a lot of what I say is from the long time past....I would think the bolt spacing on the Hub would be the same, however as you discovered the small caliper bracket wont fit the big brake calipers, and of course then the disc needs to be considered...I'm not sure the disc backplate could accommodate the increased disc size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts