Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,522 Posts
Here we go again, that reliant Scimitar reminds me of the GTE that one of our directors had mid '70's. Because we didn't have a local dealer back in those days I had to find where to get spares from and that's when I realised that Reliant didn't make cars, they just made the bodies, for example the engine was a Ford V6, the door handles were Morris Marina, the axle was Jaguar.
The front suspension was Morris the reason I know that is because I once had to go out and tow it back when both the bottom joints popped out at the same time, it was a common fault with the Morris suspension the joint was like a screw thread and luckily they used to pop out when on full lock so it only happened at low speed.

·
Spending the kid's inheritance .............
38,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here we go again, that reliant Scimitar reminds me of the GTE that one of our directors had mid '70's. Because we didn't have a local dealer back in those days I had to find where to get spares from and that's when I realised that Reliant didn't make cars, they just made the bodies, for example the engine was a Ford V6, the door handles were Morris Marina, the axle was Jaguar.
The front suspension was Morris the reason I know that is because I once had to go out and tow it back when both the bottom joints popped out at the same time, it was a common fault with the Morris suspension the joint was like a screw thread and luckily they used to pop out when on full lock so it only happened at low speed.
... I have similar screw thread trunnions on the Triumph GT6, Bill ! They have to be amply lubricated with heavy gear oil and NOT grease or they eventually pop out as you described.

·
38,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure why the Porsche picture is only shown as a thumbnail when all were loaded in the same way. This new forum software certainly gives me a bit of grief and appears to take
random action on it's own. Trying to post text and pictures is a nightmare as the text gets broken into random snatches and posted all around the top, bottom and side margins of the pics.

Grrrrr

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,522 Posts
Not sure why the Porsche picture is only shown as a thumbnail when all were loaded in the same way. This new forum software certainly gives me a bit of grief and appears to take
random action on it's own. Trying to post text and pictures is a nightmare as the text gets broken into random snatches and posted all around the top, bottom and side margins of the pics.

Grrrrr
I sympathise with you there Nick I've had the same frustrating problems.

·
Premium Member
9,743 Posts
Thanks Nick....
Some nice pictures there, as you are probably aware I have a soft-spot for the Scimitar, but doubt I'd ever have one as nice as that in your picture! 😩

Reactions: Qu1ckn1ck

·
Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
13,522 Posts
It was the Scimitar that put me off fibreglass bodies.
Back in those days I used to run old bangers that were usually rotten as a pear so I used to say " Why don't they make bodies out of fibreglass so they don't rot " Well! one day I had to take the Scimitar to the body shop for a new front wing and I was talking to the chap about fibreglass and he said "look at this" and he showed me the new wing and twisted it to show how flexible it was then he showed me the old wing and it snapped like a carrot, he also told me to look at the roof of the Scimitar and it was crazed and the car was only three years old, he explained that the trouble with fibreglass is that it never stops hardening. The other worrying thing about fibreglass is that it burns , if you've ever seen a reliant three wheeler that's been in an accident and got on fire you'll know what I mean, all you get left is an engine block and an axle.

·
38,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
. The other worrying thing about fibreglass is that it burns , if you've ever seen a reliant three wheeler that's been in an accident and got on fire you'll know what I mean, all you get left is an engine block and an axle.
As does the Lotus !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. I am from Oxford or to be more precise, Cowley. What a beautiful Bullnose Morris you had the privilege of photographing. I used to drive one of them. Throttle pedal where the brake pedal is now. You have made my day.
Thank you again.
Tommo.

·
38,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, yes, yes. I am from Oxford or to be more precise, Cowley. What a beautiful Bullnose Morris you had the privilege of photographing. I used to drive one of them. Throttle pedal where the brake pedal is now. You have made my day.
Thank you again.
Tommo.
Glad you like the Bullnose pic. This is the badge on the rad shell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts