Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday.

Having taken a drive up for my Grandson's 2nd Birthday as everyone else was working and just thought it would be nice to pop in for a few hours, I managed to leave my lights on. Yes I know there should be a warning 'beeper' when you open the door - another story for another day.

Anyway, I was in for around 5 hrs or so so needless to say when I came out to drive home the battery was stone dead, nothing, nada, not even enough to open the doors. Long story short, I got a jump start and of course the DSC light flashes as it needs to be re-calibrated to know where the limits of the steering are again, the procedure is turn the wheels full lock in both directions and the DSC light goes out after a restart. It's happened before so no big deal.

However, I noted that the roof up light for the PRHT was flashing constantly and worse than that, I couldn't get the roof down, it's a bad day when I travel roof up trust me. No matter what I did I could not get the light to go out or indeed get the roof to operate.

However, as the expression goes, 'let Google be your friend' Sure enough after a quick search I found an article describing the very same symptoms.

It turns out that if you have the SmartTop module fitted and the battery goes stone dead it too requires a total re-boot. A bit more hassle though as it has to be disconnected from the car, the original loom put back into the original control unit, the roof operated and then disconnect everything and re-install the module, those that have fitted one will know it isn't the easiest place to work in. Truth is the electrical plug clips on the Mazda are a complete PITA to push in whilst pulling the plug from it's socket, matters made worse as I have over the past 18 months or so developed a condition that is slowly destroying my nailbeds and what nail is left is very soft and the exposed skin at the nail bed bleeds like a stuck pig with even the slightest knock.

Anyhooo, after a bloodbath and much language born of frustration and pain I managed the disconnect and reconnect and the job's a good 'un, roof working as normal and needless to say even post a 40 mile drive home the battery was popped on the trusty CTek charger all night.

Premium Member
Oh dear Steve....

Glad you have it sorted though! (y)

Reactions: Ali5 and Steveti

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh dear Steve....

Glad you have it sorted though! (y)
Yes, I think I may have said something along those lines when I found the flat battery and whilst sorting it today, Oh dear, oh dear, ooooh deary me ;) you know how it tends to go.

Premium Member
  • Haha

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
That was a real bugger mate! I am sorry your hands suffered so, but glad it's all working now 馃憤

You mention "a warning beeper" but I can't remember if my 2010 NC2 had one or not...馃

[EDIT: Did you say "Golly gosh!!" or "Damn and blast!!" -- just wondered]

• Haha
1 - 7 of 7 Posts