Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I did a forum search, and came across a possible solution for a puncture repair kit that fitted in an arch?... I'm assuming where the jack is in an NC, but the post was old, so couldn't see the attached vid. Soooo...

2008 plate car, the goop in the standard kit was best before 2011, so pretty sure that's toast now.

Should I just replace the goop, or get something else like the mushrooms or strips?

Personally I'm not a fan of goop, I could live with it on a trial bike or MTB where it's me cleaning it out. Some of my fellow bikers have used the plugging straps, not come across anyone using the mushrooms.

Any thoughts on something that would suffice?

Regards, Ric

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,716 Posts
I have just got a can of Holts Tyreweld in my boot, much cheaper than replacing the Mazda supplied kit every few years

·
Premium Member
10,628 Posts
Hi Ric....You wouldn't replace the standard fit 'puncture kit' as I think it comes in at over £90! (or did when I looked a good few years back!)....
And it wrecks the tyre anyway!
I've never needed the 'kit' in all my years of Mx-ownership and just carry a couple of cans of Holts Tyre weld.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Steveti

·
Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
9,834 Posts
Cheers.... so tyreweld goop is better than mazda goop?... I thought they were all frowned on by repair shops?
I think all goop is frowned on by most, if not all tyre repair shops but rather pay £6 for tyreweld goop than £90 for the Mazda goop. Personally I carry Tyreweld and a Mushroom kit and have breakdown cover. I think that covers most likely scenarios.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Kev,
Thanks for the clarification, when Garffey mentioned £90 I thought that was a full pack including the compressor!!, not just a chuffing bottle of stuff.
We have family RAC cover, which is shocking to be fair... van gearbox exploded.... 4 hour wait, only for the RAC van to breakdown in the layby opposite to me, another 3 hours for a flat bed to arrive. Daughter's splash had a wishbone failure at 7am in the Peak District, we drove there... wife stayed with the car, I drove daughter to uni... we got home at 11pm and the locals reported the car as abandoned, so I had the Hawaii 5-0 calling me up asking what was going on.
I'm intrigued on the mushroom kit, any URLs to a complete kit, I can only find links to the mushrooms for some reason.

Ric

·
9,834 Posts
Hi Ric, it's Steve 😁,

Not sure of the price of the Mazda goop, may well be £90 for the whole kit TBH, but I'll guarantee the goop alone will be much more than a £6 tin of tyreweld.

The mushroom kit I have is for roadside repair. Says it's a motorcycle kit but it seems to do the job on cars too,

Linky:
Stop and Go Puncture Repair Kit for Motorcycles - FANTASTIC KIT! https://amzn.eu/d/1riWm63

·
9,834 Posts
Reactions: Qu1ckn1ck

·
Premium Member
10,628 Posts
Hi Kev,
Thanks for the clarification, when Garffey mentioned £90 I thought that was a full pack including the compressor!!, not just a chuffing bottle of stuff.

Ric
It's a little cheaper now Ric.....Still comes in at £67.60 including VAT!.... 🤭(Quote via SG Petch)

Reactions: Steveti
1 - 11 of 11 Posts