Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all!

I thought I'd make a post to keep track of my first ever MX5 as I clean her up, maybe add a new exhaust and a few other bits that I might or might not do. For now I have only given her a quick clean to look for scratches and chips, of which there are a few, but she has done 67,000 miles so it was expected. I have also cleaned and protected the fabric roof as it was kept under the included hard top for much of the time it's been around and I don't think it had been cleaned/treated for a while.

f2a97b01-c3f4-45bf-b48f-f80f2f3a7206_zps

I'm hopefully going to have a go at getting rid of all that horrible rust around the brakes and calipers, first trying some Hammerite rust remover and if that fails I'll be sourcing a way of skimming it off or just replace the discs. I'm hoping the calipers will be cleaned with just the hammerite and some elbow grease but the discs look quite bad around the outer edge.

(If anybody knows a good place to get new discs for a decent price I'd really appreciate it!)

The stone chips are mostly on the plastic bits on the front but a couple are on the metal, which looks like it is beginning to rust in a bubble on the bonnet and a chip on the frame above the window. So a quick sand, prime and repaint will be in order at some point.

The side windows have some hairline scratches where I assume is where some dirt has got into the rubber bits and has marked the windows as they raise and lower. The direction of the lines would suggest that. I'm hoping a good session with some glass polish will get rid of those this coming weekend.

I've had her for about a week and she runs very well mechanically, but I will be giving her an oil and filter change and get a nice new airfilter as I think the original is still in there.

But for now I'm justing having fun driving her around with the roof down!

Ryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention I bought a new Pipercross air filter (mx5parts.co.uk/filter-pipercross-mk335-p-2182.html) that I will hopefully put in place of the standard one this weekend. I'm also getting some polish and wax and will be spending the rest of the weekend doing that after I have used some hammerite direct to rust on the calipers.

I have asked a few people about skimming the discs and the costs seem to make me think getting four new discs might actually be cheaper! But I'm not 100% on that yet.

3ea37658-e778-4bdc-8f98-6fc7ee5a0c85_zps
But they do look really ugly, so I want to get them swapped soon!

·
Premium Member
28,307 Posts
Hi Ryan
Welcome to life and 5ing. You'll find the hood will
be down even if the sun is not out, it's the only way
to drive her! :giggle:

Looks like you have a lot planned to do, BUT, it will
soon become obvious there are always 'improvements'
to do.

Just enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Badman
I'm only planning external stuff at the moment (maybe some 35mm springs too) engine wise I think I'll just stick to the air filter and give her an oil change.

·
Spending the kid's inheritance .............
38,599 Posts
Hi and welcome to MX5 ownership !

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Hi, welcome, seen you on Dot com.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm still on there but this one seems a little more active. Some of the past threads on .com are very helpful though so I'll definatly be hanging around there from time to time. :)

·
Away with the fairies
41,119 Posts
Hi Ryan,welcome to "life" :)

We are a very friendly bunch of 5ers on here

Any questions ask away :D

Lovely 5 you have there

You won't be disappointed i'm sure :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum and MX5ing, reckon that car has lived near the sea judging by the amount of surface rust, hopefully you will get it sorted. The edges of the discs and shields on mine look pretty scruffy too, I just try to ignore them!

I think the bonnet is aluminium so the corrosion spot may be difficult to treat (although I am not 100% sure of that)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcomes!

The bonnet just has a small bubble, so hopefully it won't be too big a deal. I'm going to call a friend of a friend who deals with paint repairs to see if he can fix up all the chips/bubbles this weekend.

The brake discs I'm going to replace and spray the rest of the bits with that Direct to Rust stuff to make everything look a bit tidier.

Reactions: BlueRSedFly

·
Having fun topdown in my MX5
11,609 Posts
Hi Ryan and welcome to the forum :)

Lowering springs will improve the look and handling, and are a worthwhile mod (provided you don't have too many speedhumps round your way), and it is also worth getting the geometry properly set up :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mark,
I think springs will be after the brakes are cleaned/replaced. I'm looking at 35mm lower as I've read that 45mm on 16" wheels is a bit risky. Anything more than that and I'll only have my Gran Turismo experience to draw upon so I'll probably just stick to the lowering springs.

·
Unicorn finder
11,450 Posts
GT5 is great for when it is raining :) mx5 parts usually have good discounts at bank holidays, if you can bear to wait that long to buy parts!
Welcome to life :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts