Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning, good folk of life 馃槉

I am sorry if I come across as someone who possesses Mk4 (ND) emotional thrift, but mine is still slowly but continually throwing up more and more evidence of design flaws and inherent fragility.

TeeVee is now 6 years old and has covered 45,000 miles. It lives outside on my private drive and is very well cared for.

However, in addition to the litany of problems I have already had with this vehicle (and have previously reported in detail) here are the latest:

1) Quite severe clutch judder when the vehicle is cold. Thankfully this does resolve itself as the engine and transmission warm up. I have to use the clutch as a 'switch' until normal temperature is achieved.

2) The DAB facility on the radio has been playing up and is now, finally, defunct, along with the CD player. I can still listen to the radio on FM though, but need to scroll the menu every time. A real PITA.

3) There is a small hole developing in the hood where it rubs against it's own seam when folded. It is a small abrasion (on driver's side, a few inches up from the edge above the door) but the fibres are now frayed and it can only get worse.

The ND could have been---should have been---so good, but I have one of the oldest out there (August 2015) and it is clearly not a vehicle for the long term.

Like I said, it should have been so good...

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
I've always thought, wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers of any vehicle would buy back some four or five year old cars and strip them down to find the weak spots and then rectify the design and bring out a new model and stick with it for about ten years but they don't always seem to learn from their mistakes.
Yours would be a perfect example for them to analyse.

Premium Member
Oh dear Kev, sorry to read this....
Tee Vee has certainly not been very kind to you despite your initial love for it!
My SE still bats on without issue, (but as you point out half the mileage) I still very much see it as the best Mx I've owned, and despite the temptation of the dealer in Southport generously offering to take it off my hands, I'm not yet ready to part company....Something I thought you may have done before now, as it's obvious this only adds to your ire....

Premium Member
2015 Mk4 (ND) 1.5 SEL NAV Ceramic Metallic
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh dear Kev, sorry to read this....
Tee Vee has certainly not been very kind to you despite your initial love for it!
My SE still bats on without issue, (but as you point out half the mileage) I still very much see it as the best Mx I've owned, and despite the temptation of the dealer in Southport generously offering to take it off my hands, I'm not yet ready to part company....Something I thought you may have done before now, as it's obvious this only adds to your ire....
As you know, Chris, I haven't been in a good place emotionally for a fair while now and I simply haven't found sufficient motivation to make any further changes in my life. I think I'll do something in the early Spring next year though.

I have no idea what I'll replace it with. All modern cars (in my meagre price range) are either desperately boring and/or festooned with horrible, useless tech gadgets. I had fancied a 3 or 4 year-old 'Dub' GTI, but the prices are through the roof!

So, for the first time in 50 years of motoring, I have no idea what to get...馃槙

Premium Member
As you know, Chris, I haven't been in a good place emotionally for a fair while now and I simply haven't found sufficient motivation to make any further changes in my life. I think I'll do something in the early Spring next year though.

I have no idea what I'll replace it with. All modern cars (in my meagre price range) are either desperately boring and/or festooned with horrible, useless tech gadgets. I had fancied a 3 or 4 year-old 'Dub' GTI, but the prices are through the roof!

So, for the first time in 50 years of motoring, I have no idea what to get...馃槙
Yes, sorry Kev I understand the motivation thing ....sadly like yourself I'd have no idea what I could replace the ND with either, as ND aside most cars are just dull grey/white/silver boxes nowadays.....:poop:

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
I've always thought, wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers of any vehicle would buy back some four or five year old cars and strip them down to find the weak spots and then rectify the design and bring out a new model and stick with it for about ten years but they don't always seem to learn from their mistakes.
Yours would be a perfect example for them to analyse.
Yup, it's like BL all over again in tthe modern, certainly Mazda spectrum, let the paying customer be the test pilots for flaws, difference was that BL often accepted feedback and improved. Mazda - meh.

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
Yes, sorry Kev I understand the motivation thing ....sadly like yourself I'd have no idea what I could replace the ND with either, as ND aside most cars are just dull grey/white/silver boxes nowadays.....:poop:
I've chatted with Kev off forum (trust your OK with this Kev) and as for replacing an ND, retro is the way forward. Personal investment speaking here but a really well sorted NC really does, for me become the pick of the cherry tree - with some icing. I mean that despite all the high mod level of the GM it covered a 4k ml trip through Europe with not one issue ; around 10% of it's current miles in high altitudes, under, high speed/loads and it sucked it all up.

Despite my winter plan I'd jump over to France in a minute and repeat the trodden path all over again with a basic fluid & tyre pressure pre-start of journey such is my faith in the GM mods & all.

Personal opinion is that the NC just got it all right, a car for all seasons and users when factory sh*t is dialed out.

Reactions: Kev5 and boxerdog1

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
Yup, it's like BL all over again in tthe modern, certainly Mazda spectrum, let the paying customer be the test pilots for flaws, difference was that BL often accepted feedback and improved. Mazda - meh.
I remember when the first Range Rover came out the advert said they'd tested it in the Arctic, they'd tested it in the desert, they'd tested it in Europe, they'd tested it on the test track for 1000 hours but they didn't test it on my Boss, he found flaws in it in a couple of weeks.
They can test vehicles as much as the want using professional drivers but there's no one better than the general public.
I always say that if they make cars strong enough for John Doe then I should be able to make my cars last for years, which I do, I only swap my ten year old cars to keep up with the new technology.

Unicorn finder
My B.I.L used to go out and test cars in deserts and up mountains etc. they also used to put real life 1000 miles on in a week or two in usual traffic conditions- I used to help by spotting knocks/bangs etc. They also used to put them on the test beds and leave them to run, which will give you good solid data on reliability but don鈥檛 tell you what happens when it bounces down a pothole. There really is no substitution for the real road test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts