Mazda MX5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly it's owner has passed so its up for sale....But what a story!
I remember reading years ago about it catching fire in a previous incarnation....

Premium Member
Skodaboy
An interesting clip!
Many thanks for posting, Chris 馃槂

Aedificantium in viridi Apparatus
An interesting clip!
Many thanks for posting, Chris 馃槂
What I was surprised at was just how rough it sounded, probably not properly warmed up(?) not being given any real revs (?) but not to be overly impolite - it sounded like a bag of spanners, not what I would have expected from a RR Merlin at all.

Advanced Member
2005 Arctic 1.8 ltr
I don't understand how all the documents say it's a Rolls Royce just because of the engine, an Austin Princess had a rolls engine but it wasn't called a Rolls Royce it was still an Austin.
I've looked at the video a couple of times to try and like it because someone has put a lot of work into it but I just can't say anything good about it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, not the prettiest thing to look at and as Steve pointed out it wasn't as sweet running as I'd have though...Remember seeing it in a car magazine many years ago it was painted blue then I remember, and shortly after they ran a story saying it had had a fire...But I wouldn't understand the complexities of building such a thing! 馃槈

Premium Member
Skodaboy
Methinks it may be a Meteor engine (used in tanks) rather than a proper Merlin, but what do I know. 馃ゴ
According to the clip, the original car was fitted with a RR Meteor, but it caught fire and burned out some years ago. The current car is a rebuild and is fitted with a genuine RR Merlin 馃檪

Premium Member
Skodaboy
Reactions: Steveti and Garffey
1 - 12 of 12 Posts